Global legal director of a multinational start-up IT company.
Our client is an international company based in Spain and led by a predominantly Swedish management. It is a new and fast growing group which main focus will be to distribute third party digital products to developing and emerging countries through a large multi level marketing network (MLM). Its mission is to contribute to closing the digital divide in those countries whilst providing work and income for the local salesforce. It is managed by top Swedish directors who have a track record both in the IT and telecoms sectors and in leading businesses and teams.
The company’s values are transparency, business ethics, social compromise, efficiency, flexibility, sustainability and collaboration.
It currently seeks to hire a Chiel Legal Officer (CLO) to take responsibility for the company´s legal and compliance matters and to provide strategic legal and compliance advice to the management and to other stake holders in the context of the company’s global expansion.
Descripción del puesto
The lawyer will be responsible for all the legal and compliance matters of the group on a global basis. She/he will report to the group’s Chief Financial Officer and will liaise directly with its CEO and other executive managers. The candidate’s role will be twofold: (i) providing key strategic legal and compliance advice to the management and other members of the business as required to set it up and achieve its goals and (ii) assisting with day-to-day legal and compliance matters in a wide range of areas.
The CLO will thus provide legal advice in relation to:
- Company law: setting up local companies where so required, designing the most efficient company group structure.
- Tax law: advising on international tax structure and issues.
- Commercial law: collaborating with lawyers specialized in MLM business issues; producing templates for the relevant commercial agreements with large international digital product suppliers; negotiating and concluding those agreements together with product managers; managing and following-up on those agreements; advising on inter-company and external service contracts.
- Labour law: providing legal advice with regard to the labour relations of the company both in Spain and globally.
- Legal Compliance: setting up the company’s compliance system, designing protocols and implementing them, following up on such implementation; managing internal complaints; providing in-house trainings; advising with regard to the relevant sector regulations and other applicable legislation; advising in relation to AML and other compliance, financial, tax and governance regulations.
- Dealing with and managing external local law firms.
The successful candidate shall be a EU qualified lawyer with an experience of at least 15 years. He/she will have a proven track record of managing legal and compliance matters at an international level, and will be used to channelling the interests and relations of various companies operating in a number of countries.
The candidate will have acquired his/her experience preferably at a large international company as an in-house counsel, or else, at an international law firm providing legal advice on cross-border matters. The lawyer will be used to providing legal advice on commercial contracts in general, and to managing a large number of them across various countries. In addition, he/she will have vast experience both in complex company law matters and house-keeping. Experience in labour and tax law is desirable.
The candidate must be fluent in English and in Spanish, and a command of Swedish would be an asset although not at all a requirement. He/she will be available to travelling.
We are looking for a flexible yet rigorous legal professional, who can manage change and provide advice in fast growing businesses. The candidate must have a commercial approach and will be a solution provider. He/she will be a doer and shall have initiative. The lawyer must be capable and willing to provide both a global key legal advice whilst taking care of daily issues as requested. He/she will have excellent communication skills an will be a true team player and a business partner.
Our client offers you a unique and challenging opportunity to become the CLO of an innovative and collaborative international company. You will be involved in all the strategic legal and compliance matters and will be in direct and close contact with the management and the business. You will benefit from an open minded and efficient working environment with high respect for its staff. You will receive a competitive remuneration package.